Betty's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: 2011, 2012, re-read, recs-for-my-sister, book-club-books
Read in April, 2012

Oh I loved this. I loved the shifting styles and the nested structure, and I loved the part somewhere into the second chapter where you just start to figure out how the book is put together. By the middle of the book you're so far from where you began, but it never feels jarring, and the pieces fit together so satisfyingly. As I started it I sort of mentally compared it to "A Visit From The Goon Squad" which was on my mind since I only read it a couple months ago, and because it similarly shifts between characters and through time. Cloud Atlas never feels incomplete the way Goon Squad did, though, and Mitchell accomplishes a lot of storytelling without sacrificing characterization. The themes that tie the book together emerge gradually; by the end it's pretty apparent, but I don't think it ever felt forced or obvious (I'm being intentionally vague here because putting the pieces of this novel together are a big part of its charm.) The book was simply a pleasure to read, and kept me sane over a 40 hour plane journey (including some extreme layovers).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.