Betty's Reviews > Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace

Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself by David Lipsky

Mar 14, 12

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 13 to 14, 2012

The thing about David Foster Wallace is that, in so much of his writing, he seems to be talking directly to you, and about his most secret private feelings. Or maybe it's the feeling that he's telling you about YOUR most private feelings. At any rate, when I get into a DFW kick I end up scouring the internet for archived interviews and book reviews because I just want to read MORE, especially if it gives me just a few clues of how all of his work fits together and trying to find that line between fiction and autobiography. So this book fits perfectly into that. There's no real analysis aside from a sweet memorializing in the Introduction and Afterword; it's really just conversations, about deeply personal stuff but also about David Lynch and Die Hard. It's the kind of conversations you'd hope you could have with him, if you'd met him, because he comes across as sharp and a little sly but mostly gregarious and funny and awkward.

This didn't blow me away, maybe because there's no analysis on top of these conversations. However, the people who pick this up are generally going to do so just for the chance to spend a little more time with him, and for that, it's perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself.

Thomas Fair warning, the Foreward and Afterword (right next to each other in my copy) are rough. I'd advise skipping if you've had a bad week.