Shawn's Reviews > The Confessions of Max Tivoli

The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer

Jul 17, 2011

Read in November, 2010

Having known so much about this book before picking it up it is difficult to judge without pre-existing notions butting their way into my thought processes. Fortunately this is a very emotional book and doesn't lend itself well to analytical critique.

What stands out the most in my mind after reading this book, other than the fact that the main character ages backward, is the fervent obsession with love. It bordered on obscene at times. That and the author's overuse of creative observations of light and shadow (which was very charming at first) are my only criticisms of this novel.

The imagery, the history, the vividly drawn characters, the intricacies of the plot, all fantastic! Time and place in the real world dissolved immediately every time I started reading.

Max Tivoli reveals a little bit of the monster in us all. And perhaps helps us realize we're not so monstrous as we think we are. His story highlights the unjust nature of life, giving us the wisdom to realize everyone is subject to unfairness in some form or another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Max Tivoli.

03/24/2016 marked as: read