Chris's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Feb 17, 13

bookshelves: modern-fairy-tales, youngadult, fantasy-dark
Read from July 17 to 19, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I have a problem with time travel plots. I really do. I don't know why. Maybe because they make my head hurt. Even Brigadoon, does this, too many blasted years. The whole 100 years thing, I mean what if there is a parking lot there? Or a cabin? Something? (Not to mention, why its okay that everyone goes home to Bonnie Jean). So in all fairness to Riggs, I'm not partial to time travel books.

And this book involes one of those time loops where no one ages, but everyone is okay with that.

Jacob's grandfather dies, and eventually Jacob travels to a sterotypical Irish English Welsh island where people are very attached to thier sheep. He does this to find out more about his grandfather and the peculiar children his grandfather might have met.

This book really isn't bad, except, outside of the time travel thing, I had some issues.

The first is Jacob. At times, Jacob comes across as a believable surly teen. And the other times, he doesn't. He sounds way too adult, and uses British terms that very few Americans use. It doesn't sound right and is jarring.

Jacob is one of the few characters that is developed. Many of the others just seem invented to use the really awesome photos. Jacob and every one get along too well, too quicky.

And then there is this whole time loop thing. Really, you're okay with being five forever. And I'm sorry, but one line about how it was strange to be about to make out with your grandfather's old girlfriend who is really 80 something before doing said act, does not remove the ick factor. And it's not really the age difference. It's really icky, disgusting, and quite frankly has the feeling of statutory rape (almost, only almost because they didn't go all the way).

Yet, the book does have some good points. When something finally rears its head, the action sequence is good and there is one other aspect of character shift besides Jacob. Though, I wish there had been a better ending.

The real selling point is the pictures, though this too has its drawbacks, for sometimes, especially in the first half, it feels as if plot points and characters are simply there for the pictures. Inspired by is fine, but if you have character simply so you can put in a picture, it doesn't work. It just becomes a shade.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review - one point it's Welsh! Interesting that you thought Riggs' attempts at creating an American character sounded a bit British. Although I thought the British characters' language was mostly realistic, I found a few glaring inaccuracies. Nice try - didn't always get it quite right

☯Bettie☯ The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane all over again - high expectations, low delivery

message 3: by Chris (last edited Feb 17, 2013 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris At least I finished this one. Couldn't finisn Dane.