Natalie's Reviews > Runemarks

Runemarks by Joanne Harris

1020063
Mar 25, 08

So, I had read that Stephanie Meyer liked this book and I thought I would give it a go, but was disappointed. I do not know that much about Norse mythology, but I had hoped that this book would be somewhat of a fun introduction and I looked forward to being engulfed in the plot. However, there were many problems I found in the novel's construction.

First and foremost I see that this novel is marketed as a middle grade novel, and as with many successful middle grade novels there is usually only one character's perspective spanning the story. One view point not only helps to insure the reader's connection with the main character, but it also alleviates the burden of children not having to concentrate on tracking numerous character's thoughts and motivations.

This book switched viewpoints between so many different characters that not only did it become confusing, for me, at times, but it diluted the connection with the main character, Maddy. In my opinion, this excessive switching was responsible for a great loss of the story's momentum.

I also noticed that the voice and style of language was not consistent and would alternate from use of older language and expressions to modern and I thought it damaged the novel's believability.

Last, I thought that not all the ends were tied up. It seemed completely natural for Maddy to confront Loki about the reasons for his actions during the end scenes and yet she never does. Maybe that will be in the sequel?

All in all I was able to finish the novel and there was enough action to assist in helping me push through, but this is not a book I would necessarily recommend or read again.

Two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runemarks.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Yeah, I wouldn't say Meyer is that versed in "good" literature. I mean her stuff is just brain candy.