Jeanette's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Jul 18, 11

Read from July 17 to 18, 2011

Disfigured by the blow of an abusive husband, and suffering her entire life with severe social anxiety disorder, the widow Mary McAllister spends almost sixty years secluded in a white marble mansion overlooking the town of Mill River, Vermont. Her links to the outside world are few: the mail, the media, an elderly priest with a guilty habit of pilfering spoons, and a bedroom window with a view of the town below.

Most longtime residents of Mill River consider the marble house and its occupant peculiar, though insignificant, fixtures. An arsonist, a covetous nurse, and the endearing village idiot are among the few who have ever seen Mary. Newcomers to Mill River--a police officer and his daughter and a new fourth grade teacher--are also curious about the reclusive old woman. But only Father Michael O’Brien knows Mary and the secret she keeps--one that, once revealed, will change all of their lives forever.

The Mill River Recluse is a story of triumph over tragedy, one that reminds us of the value of friendship and the ability of love to come from the most unexpected of places.

I don't think the blurb for this book does it justice, it's so much more than what it sounds like. I loved this book, the characters, and the way it made me feel. The author did a wonderful job of pulling you and making you want to know more about the people, the town, the back stories. I couldn't hardly wait to finish it but was sad when it ended. I look forward to seeing more by this author. Oh and I have to say this was the best 99 cents I've spent on a book so far!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

07/17/2011
07/17/2011
31.0% "Really enjoying the book so far."
show 1 hidden update…