Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Crimson Wind

Crimson Wind by Diana Pharaoh Francis

5112089
This was even better than the first book, and that's saying something!

The book picks up a few weeks after the events of Bitter Night. The Coven is on shaky legs and trying to get back to some semblance of order after the attacks that nearly buried them. Giselle is still weak and on the edge of her witchy control, and tensions are high for the Blades and Spears.

This isn't helped much by the addition of Alexander, whom no one- perhaps with the exception of Max- trusts further than they could throw him. Actually.... they could throw him pretty far, so that analogy doesn't really work, but you get the idea.

Max is having an even harder time of it. As if ignoring the incredibly appealing Alexander wasn't trial enough, that damned pesky demigod, Scooter, keeps trying to snatch her away in her sleep. His nightly visits are causing her so much damage that her healing spells are about to lose their battle and one of these mornings, she might just not wake up.

She realises she has little choice but to go and see what the hell he wants. But she is in no way prepared for what he has to say...

I loved this storyline. As with the previous book it was both exciting and unusual. It reminded me in places of "A Journey to the Centre of the Earth". I find I enjoy urban fantasy that's quite heavy on the fantasy, like Kate Daniels, Cassandra Palmer, The Fever series, etc.

Give me weird creatures and people-eating plants and I'm a happy girl. Who knew?

I also loved all the sexual tension and emotional stuff. There was just enough to have you rooting for them, but not so much that you felt the need to wash your eyes. No gratuitous sex scenes as of yet.

Max is such a fantastic character. She has so much to deal with but even with her plate more than full she just can't walk by a person in need without trying to help. She just can't. She even gets accused of "collecting strays" by Alexander, much to her annoyance. I think it unnerves her that he can read her so well.

There is clearly a lot more to come for this series, and this book with have you salivating for the next one due to the abrupt ending. Make sure you have it nearby.

Originally Reviewed for Urban Fantasy Book Reviews
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crimson Wind.

Quotes Lynsey Liked

Diana Pharaoh Francis
“Her Shadowblade Prime was fully roused now, power rolling away from her in uncontrollable waves. Her Blades wouldn't be able to ignore it. She had to get to the vault before they came running to stop her like a horde of hysterical nannies.”
Diana Pharaoh Francis, Crimson Wind

Diana Pharaoh Francis
“She'd worry about it later. For now, she had an appointment with a homicidal godlet.”
Diana Pharaoh Francis, Crimson Wind

12/29/2011 page 40
12/31/2011 page 118
31.0% "I love Alexander!"
show 1 hidden update…