Deb's Reviews > The Coffins of Little Hope

The Coffins of Little Hope by Timothy Schaffert

Jul 17, 11

An elderly obituary writer, Essie Myles, recounts the year that a young woman claims that her daughter Lenore was abducted. The media is transfixed - the story temporarily saves the dying newspaper run by Essie's grandson Doc - but some people think Daisy is delusional and doubt that Lenore ever existed. Meanwhile, Doc's sister Ivy comes back to her 13-year-old daughter Tiff, having abandoned her for a lover in Paris five years previously.

I loved the narrator's voice here: as I age, I'm susceptible to the charms of elderly people who are not doddering, and who are fully drawn complex people. The charm of the novel ended there for me, though, and I can't pinpoint why. It was quirky, but I didn't find it funny. The characters were real and should have been interesting, but they did not grab me. I more or less enjoyed reading the book, but it just dissolved on my tongue. If you like the work of Alexander McCall Smith, you might love this book. I don't, so I didn't.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coffins of Little Hope.