Carrie Kellenberger's Reviews > The Waste Lands

The Waste Lands by Stephen King

2048986
May 01, 14

bookshelves: epic-series, fantasy, thrillers, favorites
Read from April 23 to May 01, 2014

The Waste Lands is the third installment in Stephen King's Dark Towers series. It's also my favorite of the three so far. The Waste Lands opens with our three friends moving through the North Central Positronics’ Outdoor Nature Park on the path of the Beam. It's here that they encounter the giant bear Shardik, one of 12 guardians of the Beam.

The gunslingers, mainly Susannah, face him down with some fancy shooting, and they continue on their way through the forest. Meanwhile, Roland is slowly going mad from the voices in his head, and Eddie discovers that he has some pretty nifty skills in wood carving. Eddie manages to carve a talisman for Roland to keep the voices at bay, but the three of them realize that they need to do something quickly before Roland loses it completely. Roland has a feeling that young Jake is near, and they conspire to bring him over to Mid World.

When the gunslingers encounter the Ring of Stones, they realize they have their chance to bring Jake over. The only problem is the demon who guards the Ring of Stones. While Eddie carves a door to bring Jake through from his world, Susannah and Roland take on the demon. In the end, the only way to keep the demon occupied is for Susannah to keep it busy. She does this by allowing the demon to rape her and then she traps it until Eddie and Roland can pull Jake through.

Our little band of heroes, now four, continue on to River Crossing, where they wine and dine with the villagers of the town and learn what to expect from the rest of their journey to Lud. The villagers warn the Gunslinger and his friends that the people of Lud will do anything within their power to seize Jake. The Greys and the Pubes are disease-riddled and elderly, and young children are a hot commodity amongst their kind.

As they are approaching Lud, Jake is taken. Roland goes in search of him, while Susannah and Eddie go off in search of Blaine the Mono. They must travel across the Waste Lands on Blaine in order to reach the Black Tower, but before they do that, they have to find Jake and deal with the Tick Tock Man.

In short, shit gets crazy in Book Three, and I can hardly wait to read Book Four.

I loved reading Stephen King in high school and university, and it's been a while since I've picked up a Stephen King novel. My respect for him has continued to deepen and grow after rereading some of my favorites of his. What a talented writer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waste Lands.

04/23 marked as: currently-reading