Bruce's Reviews > The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year by Jonathan Strahan

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: sf-fantasy
Read in June, 2011

I've been reading Gardner Dozois year's best SF collection for around 15 years, but over the last few I have begun to find Dozois's collection rather tiring. Too few really good stories, too many extremely depressing or just plain boring.

I thought I'd try Strahan and now despite the impressive shelf in my library filled with a lovely sequence of Dozois's fat volumes I'm going to switch to Strahan.

I enjoy the widening of the range to include fantasy, as much science fiction isn't anything like scientific anyway. And why wouldn't you want, for example, a great Neil Gaiman story in your book? Much better a well written fantasy story than the latest dreadful homage to nuts, bolts, materialism and the heat death of the universe by some "hard SF" writer.

And since much of the fantasy in Strahan's volumes is representative of the "new weird" by great authors like Kelly Link, etc., it's fantastic to be able to read the best of those stories as well.

My one regret is that not every single one of my absolute favorite stories (sadly, only 2) from Dozois made it over into Strahan. So you can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess, but the hours spent wading through dreck in the Dozois volume weren't worth the one good story Strahan missed anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year.