Stephanie's Reviews > Good Girls

Good Girls by Laura Ruby

Jul 18, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 17 to 18, 2011

Good Girls was not what I expected. Most YA books are about a good girl who's somewhat socially inept and who has only one friend. The said good girl secretly hooks up with the popular player in school and they fall in love... This is not that kind of story.

In this book the good girl has friends. She goes to parties. She drinks. She had a boyfriend before. When she began hooking up with Luke the gorgeous, popular boy in school at every party for the next two months. It's not a secret. Everyone knows that something is happening. They just don't know what. That is until the day that some mean spirited person decide to secretly take a picture of Audrey and Luke while they are having a private moment. The picture is sent to everyone and Audrey is now known to everyone as the girl in the picture, the slut, while Luke remains untouched by the scandal or is he?

This book is about double standard and learning to accept that everything is not always black or white. This is not a love story, but it still has a bit part in the background.

I would classify this novel as an Adult Young Adult book. What I mean by this is that I do not believe that it's actually appropriate for anyone under the age of 16. Lots of swearwords. Lots of mention of sex. Lots of mentions of things parents wish their kids didn't even do or think about, but lets be real... they do think and do these things.

I am giving this book a 4.5 stars. Different and a page turner. I read it in one day.

Rated 16 + for sex, language, teenage drinking and smoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Girls.

07/18/2011
100.0% "Great book!"

message 1: by Tammara (new)

Tammara Sounds different - and yet similar to - Not That Kind of Girl. Audrey sounds a bit more conflicted than Natalie, who was trying really hard to be "good"? (Reminding me of some recent political scandals, actually - when you set yourself up as perfect, you're asking for it!!) I loved Not That Kind of Girl (I know you didn't). Do you think I'd like this one?

Stephanie I think you will. You should check it out.