Felix Dance's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jul 16, 2011

Read in March, 2011

This book totally surpassed my expectations. It's been mentioned to me pretty frequently when I put my ear to the literati ground, like when I saw the excellent musical, 'Keating!', and the eponymous had his career compared to his eponymous counterpart (does that make sense?), so I had to read it at some stage. My new ebook reader afforded me this opportunity and the novel was consumed snug from the snowy weather of Istanbul. Full of outrageous witticisms, as one expects from Wilde, the story focuses on the Narcissistic young Dorian Gray from when his portrait is taken by a friend. His beauty now apparent, Dorian wishes that his portrait, rather than himself, should bear the brunt of age. Over the years, his beauty and youthful innocence intact, Dorian's wish becomes reality - with terrible consequences. The portrait reveals the twisted and grotesque nature of Dorian's soul that his appearance masks. Full of pithy and hilarious observations on life, this novel also holds so many powerful ideas on how we see ourselves and our mortality that I'm forced to include it in the list of the best novels I've ever read. It's a fairly quick read too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.