Doug Bradshaw's Reviews > American Assassin

American Assassin by Vince Flynn

Jul 16, 2011

Read from July 16 to 18, 2011

This is good tough American male stuff. I enjoyed as much as some of you women readers enjoy a romance novel with handsome vampires and whatnot. It made me almost laugh to read it, like going back in time to the joy of reading my first three or four Ludlum novels.

This is the 11th book in a series about a CIA assassin named Mitch Rapp. It is the prequel to the other already told stories and I was told I may as well read it first. It's not quite as sophisticated as Jack Bauer and "24", but it has that same tough agent willing to do what it takes even if it means ignoring the more politically correct bosses, attitude. Here is a simple, likable, extremely tough athletic guy willing to sacrifice his limbs and life to beat the terrorists. The toughest and most pure quarterback you'll ever meet. And he's able, as a young guy, to show the leaders at the top how it needs to be done and how they have strayed from their real missions and directives by being too politically correct.

Sort of like the warnings the drug companies have to give us on TV, there is extreme violence, graphic killing, the toughest, worst, sob drill sergeant ever, a little romance but nothing you women will enjoy, and other such fun and games.

I loved it and will now go to the first in the series.

I'd give it five stars, but I'm afraid some of my old English Professors may be reading this and, the book certainly isn't literature. But it is efficient, has some great moments and will give you a vicarious thrill here and there, although, sometimes, perhaps, a little over the top. But I'd never cut anything out if I were the editor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Assassin.

07/18/2011 page 325
04/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita You had me at "the joy of reading the first 3 or 4 Ludlums."

Tabitha L Woods For the record, some American women detest romance novels. I appreciated the action in this novel as well as your review.

Savvy Yawn...Romance novels! But I am an eclectic reader and this is keeping my attention! Perhaps because loss of fellow crew members aboard Pan Am 103 at Lockerbie has me rooting for vengeance still. Rapp is a charismatic, strong, able character....and I am cheering him on! :-)

Doug Bradshaw Savvy wrote: "Yawn...Romance novels! But I am an eclectic reader and this is keeping my attention! Perhaps because loss of fellow crew members aboard Pan Am 103 at Lockerbie has me rooting for vengeance still. R..."

LOL. Great! Good to hear from you. I read a few more after this one and all and all, pretty good stuff. Glad to hear you're a little bored with Romance Novels and that this is getting your adrenaline flowing.