Gina's Reviews > A Place of Greater Safety

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel

F_50x66
Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: did-not-finish

To be fair, I just don't think historical fiction (at least the kind where the history trumps the character development and action and such that I like in my books) is my kind of thing.

I've had this behemoth of a book on my bookshelf for over a year, a hand-me-down from a friend. After only getting through the first 100 pages of Wolf Hall, I was skeptical but thought I'd give it a shot. At first, I was hopeful. Though there were SO MANY characters (prefaced by a 9 page character key), the story itself was developing well and was interesting to me. After the 3 main characters grew up and became involved in various ways in the French Revolution, I stopped being interested. And I tried...really I tried. But stories about war and tactics and individuals acting rebelliously and encouraging the masses to do the same just isn't interesting to me. I understand the importance of the French Revolution in Europe's history, but I'm just not interested to read about it.

I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. I gave it 250 pages and quit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place of Greater Safety.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerr (new) - rated it 1 star

Kerr Smith Ironically, page 250 is about where I quit. None of the characters grabbed me and all the threads of the story never seemed to intersect. The editor must have been asleep.