Rachel's Reviews > The Seeker

The Seeker by Ann H. Gabhart

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in July, 2011

I found this book in the new fiction section of the public library and thought I would give it a shot since it's outside of the type of book I normally read. This author writes fiction that focuses on the life of Shakers, a religious group I was not very familiar with. My hope was to learn a bit about the group while reading a historical fiction book in the process.

Unfortunately, this was one of those books I just trudged through because I got past that point of quitting. I don't like to not finish books, so I stuck it out despite wanting it to be over.

Gabhart's writing style is easy to read and reflects the era in which her story takes place. However, it dragged in a lot of areas. Establishing relationships between some characters could have been done much more succinctly. The love story didn't seem believable (probably because I don't believe in love at first sight). Despite wanting to be open-minded and learn about the Shakers, I could not identify with their beliefs and way of life.

I'm willing to bet that those who are religious themselves may identify more with this book than an agnostic like me. While I am overall proud of the fact that I read the book to try something new, this is definitely not an author or a topic I have an interest in exploring further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seeker.