Amara at Mine for the Reading's Reviews > Ditched: A Love Story

Ditched by Robin Mellom

Mar 04, 2012

Read from January 08 to 09, 2012

Alternating between chats at 7-11 in the present and the horrific events of the night before, Ditched immediately sets out to intrigue us with the heroine's current predicament: stranded, without money, no phone, and, oh yeah, she's been ditched by her best friend on prom night. From the first few lines, I was hooked, because as soon as the story begins we find Justina in a ditch along the side of the road with few memories intact. Once she hikes up to the nearest 7-11, however, the events of what should have been the best night of her life - in which she was planning to lock lips with her best friend and crush - come flooding back to her, provoking our insatiable curiosity. What happened to this girl? Where did all those stains on her heinously iridescent prom dress come from? And why is she sporting a tattoo and a bruise shaped like a french fry? All of these questions are answered chapter by chapter, in the most witty, charming way.

A main character like Justina, sarcastic and uncomfortable in her own skin, really pulled this story together. She emanates this laugh-out-loud humor in her words and her recounting of events to clerk and customer at her refuge in 7-11. And as Justina tells her insane story, we get to see and know the other characters through her eyes. It was fun and sweet watching the unlikeliest of people come through for her, helping her along her quest to track down Ian, her AWOL prom date.

I loved her happy, simmering relationship with Ian. It was easy to spot the wondering, the yearning between the two, and their snippets together tugged gigantic smiles out of me. Although, at times, Ian's perfection could be disconcerting and borderline unbelievable, the fact is, my Inner Cynic's jeering thoughts were railroaded by the profound cuteness of this Blossoming Into Something More relationship. These two had a deep and complete understanding of one another, an irremovable trust, and a need to protect, console, and cheer each other. A delightful companionship that has always straddled the boundary between friends and Something More, I basked in the obvious clues of Ian's feelings, and watching Justina uncover the truth was so rewarding.

Ditched could have easily been a cheesy, fluffy story with no heart, and while it has subtle elements of the cutesy and mushy, it was never unbearable. Instead, Ditched proved to be the perfect sit-down read to have when the day is crappy and a serious mood lifter is in order. Looking to laugh away your troubles? Ditched is the perfect solution.

Full Review on My Blog »

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ditched.

01/08/2012 page 45
16.0% "So funny and cute!"
01/08/2012 page 288
100.0% "So very cute! Loved!"