Deedee's Reviews > The Moon and Sixpence

The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham

Well, Maugham does know how to write well. This book purports to be about a man driven to sacrifice all in pursuit of his Art (painting). However, looked at objectively, every obstacle in his way is a selfish, demanding woman; and he overcomes his obstacle by refusing to live up to his obligations to that woman (true whether the woman is his wife, his lover, or the unwed mother of his children). Other obstacles that an aspiring artist might have are not mentioned. Not a pleasant story.

I wondered where the title came from. The internet is amazing :0) so I looked it up. from WIKI: "According to some sources, the title, the meaning of which is not explicitly revealed in the book, was taken from a review of Of Human Bondage in which the novel's protagonist, Philip Carey, is described as "so busy yearning for the moon that he never saw the sixpence at his feet." According to a 1956 letter from Maugham, "If you look on the ground in search of a sixpence, you don't look up, and so miss the moon." "
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon and Sixpence.

08/06/2011 page 112

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Avila Always wanted to read this book,your fine review, reminds me again, I will, but don't know when, thanks Deedee.