James Broussard's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

M_50x66
Dec 05, 12

Read in July, 2011

I'm blown away that someone could write a book so long in which nothing actually happens

I wrote a longer review at http://allthenominees.blogspot.com

But it says pretty much the same thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Jul 19, 2011 09:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

John I think the issue is that he's started filling the gaps we used to have between the action of the chapters. We used to get little slices of things going on, like when Ned and the girls went to King's Landing, and in between these people would move, and we'd just hear about other things going on. Now, there are so many people and so many moving parts that he gives us one thousand pages and it seems like things haven't moved at all. Or only moved a little.

Markness Seriously.

John Missig I feel like things are moving just as they should. I'm only halfway through the 5th book, but so far a lot of shit has happened.

Kimberly Obviously you've never read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series... That pretty much sums up books 7-11. A lot happened in this book. A lot.

Will Ross Dude you took the words out of my mouth!!!!! Well stated haha!

Geovane I do agree!!! I feel cheated! The saga began and developed so well, at least the books 2 and 3, and now what?!

Alejandro Trujillo The best comment ever!

Stevie take it you weren't really paying attention then? What a load of nonsense how does nothing happen? It was brilliant

Hairpie A LOT happens

Deborah I'm only halfway through, and SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED. Just because no one's dying every other chapter or being thrown down holes, off walls, and such, doesn't mean nothing's happening. Open your eyes.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Missig Deborah wrote: "I'm only halfway through, and SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED. Just because no one's dying every other chapter or being thrown down holes, off walls, and such, doesn't mean nothing's happening. Open your eyes."

I agree 100%.

Deborah John wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I'm only halfway through, and SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED. Just because no one's dying every other chapter or being thrown down holes, off walls, and such, doesn't mean nothing's happening..."

Thank you!

Nazgul2 is not that must die people every episode, but the action is very slow.
There is a lot Tyrion traveling,Daenerys staying, and new characters that appears in this book and disappears too, HER Martin is filling, because in the very beginning he was only writing three books

James Broussard I just have to remind myself when I read the book that it's not really a full story, just the other half of 'Feast for Crows.' I think if you actually combined the two stories they would even out a little more. I think we'll be able to tell the real worth of Dance once the whole story is finished. It'll either be the point at which he gets all the pieces in the right place to finish it up, or the spot where he totally lost control of the story. Right now I think it could go either way.

Jennifer Risley It's showing the character developmental and change of the events, a lot of this is seeing the characters reflect and changing course to the direction they need (and we want in some cases) them to take, Deny need to have a developement to push her from this city she believes needs her, jon had to have his mind changed in order to leave the wall, theoron was one of the biggest example for personal developmental.

Then he left with the action all at the end, where the story has to pick up and start they have to push for the ending.

you do reliese this petty fighting of theirs is kind of mute once the Others come. The "survivors" will have to band together.

so i think you are wrong and reread the book.

Guillermo Azuarte Deborah wrote: "I'm only halfway through, and SO MUCH HAS HAPPENED. Just because no one's dying every other chapter or being thrown down holes, off walls, and such, doesn't mean nothing's happening. Open your eyes."

I totally agree with you. Seriously. Nothing happened???! Just because there wasn't a Red Wedding or something equivalent doesn't mean nothing happened. Still kindof amazed someone that got this far into the series could make such an asinine comment and then provide a link where you have to scroll through countless unrelated reviews to simply get to his point. Doesn't seem worth looking for anymore to be honest.

message 17: by Nannette (new)

Nannette Serra LOL! Great review. I haven't read the book but am watching the series.

Enigma Exactly! I was shocked when i reached the last page, nothing happened :(

message 19: by Olfruits (new)

Olfruits thats why i download epub, no pain no gain

message 20: by Russell (new) - added it

Russell The only negative criticism I could write is that the ratio of 'things happening' to 'descriptive narrative ,character development and food and terrain descriptions are imbalanced. George RRmartin spends a LOT of time describing journeys but that journney never reaches destination. That's the frustrating part. Stannis' March south through the snow blizzard never fucking ends, etc. Anyway, amazeballs best book ever! But lacks Shit happening g in the end. I mean, at least send Daenerys across the bloody NARROW FRIKKIN.SEA ALREADY!!!!!