Evelyn's Reviews > The Plague

The Plague by Albert Camus

Jul 16, 2011

bookshelves: historical, realistic
Read from July 16 to 19, 2011 , read count: 2

I disliked Rambert and Cottard. I'd say that the others - Dr. Rieux, Tarrou, etc. - were admirable if not for the passage wherein the author points out that they are not heroes because to deem them such is to say doing the right thing is uncommon enough to be rewarded. What surprised me was how orderly the town was even in the depths of the plague. A line I found amusing: "Stupidity has a knack of getting its way".

Reading #2

First impressions remain mostly legit, though I also add Paneloux to the list of people I dislike. Tarrou was my favorite character, perhaps even more than Dr. Rieux, but I disagree with his ideology: the purpose of life should not be defined in negative. His (view spoiler). He was a man for whom there was no rest.

Excellent, excellent book. Killer ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plague.

03/28/2012 page 45
15.0% ""When a microbe," Rieux said, "after a short intermission can quadruple in three days' time the volume of the spleen, can swell the mesenteric ganglia to the size of an orange and give them the consistency of gruel, a policy of wait-and-see is, to say the least of it, unwise." What a boss."
04/10/2012 page 126
41.0% ""this insignificant and obscure hero...had to his credit only a little goodness of heart and a seemingly absurd ideal. This will render to the truth its due, to the addition of two and two its sum of four, and to heroism the secondary place that rightly falls to it, just after, never before, the noble claim of happiness." In other news, Paneloux and Rambert are irritating."