Rayne's Reviews > Chime

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ghosts, historical-fiction, mystery, romance, witches-and-wizards, you-go-girl, young-adult
Recommended to Rayne by: Cillian Beyond Birthday
Read from July 26 to 28, 2012

This novel is an exquisitely written and wonderfully constructed story with a chilling atmosphere, an original premise, a fantastic setting and a self-destructive and achingly realistic protagonist and a very believable and likeable love interest. My only problem with the novel was the pace, and not for lack of things going on. I just didn't get suck into the story from the get-go and that's why it took me so long to get through it. But, as a whole, this novel is simply marvelous. I look forward to the companion novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chime.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna  Happy Booker I have an ARC of this title, I like the green cover much better! I couldn't really get into it either.

Rayne I used to like the original cover better, but once I had in my hands the paperback copy with the new green cover, I couldn't help being more attracted to it. It is prettier without losing that mysterious essence in the girl's eye.

And I completely understand! This is one of those novels that are good mainly because everything is done right: the writing, the plotting, the characterization, the setting, but somehow they fail to truly captivate me.

oliviasbooks Companion novel? Where, when?

Rayne Yes! At the end of my paperback copy there is an interview with the author and she said she was working on two companion novels for it tentatively named Shadow and Cloud :)