Jordan's Reviews > America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search of a Life

America Anonymous by Benoit Denizet-Lewis

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: counseling-recovery
Read in July, 2011

In other men we faults can spy, and blame the moat that blinds their eye
each tiny peck and blemish find
to our own greater errors blind (Ben Franklin)

After profiling many different addicts the author uses the last chapter to confess to his own issues. He even confesses to writing about these addicts while actively perusing his own addiction. This very fact really speaks to the power & insanity of addiction. He follows 8 different addicts who suffer from addictions including: food, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, sex, and shop lifting. Each addict he writes about shares openly about how and why they relapse and use their "drug" of choice. They openly share their stories about daily sober living.

It was interesting learning about the similarities between addictions. Although seemingly different each addiction fills a void within each addict. Each addict also shares similar paths toward relapsing. I myself am an alcoholic and before reading this book I felt that no other addiction could hold a candle to the power of my addiction. After learning about how other people deal with their own addictions I now see how each have the same powerlessness in battling them.

I may not be able to drink, but for others their issue may be a different substance but each addiction has the same power to destroy happiness and life manageability. I'm beginning to feel comfortable leaving alcohol out of my life, but it’s nice to know I can still enjoy nearly every other pleasure life has to offer. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to see into the lives of different types of addicts while also learning that each of them have the ability to escape their own self imposed prisons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America Anonymous.