Blake Fraina's Reviews > Running Anatomy

Running Anatomy by Joe Puleo

Sep 09, 11

I was super excited to get this one. I’ve been a somewhat serious runner since 1994, running moderate distances (anywhere from three to seven miles at a clip) and have recently returned to a regular running schedule after a six month hiatus. I figured a more technical text would give me the edge to improve my speed and distances.

Unfortunately, this one is a bit too technical for my taste.

While it does include a lot of weight training routines designed to build the muscles needed for strength, speed and general good running form, I feel as if I’ve seen all this information elsewhere - like Runner’s World or Women’s Fitness magazines. It’s nice to have it all in one place, I suppose, but it feels a bit redundant to me. As far as the opening chapters of the book, this was where I kind of zoned out. I imagine a coach or seriously competitive runner might find a lot of really great stuff here, but I was having a difficult time concentrating on sections with titles like, "Results of the Training Progression Model," and "Event Specific Body Characteristics."

I think this is a great resource for dedicated athletes interested in serious training, but I’m not really qualified to review it from that perspective. For a casual runner like myself, I’d recommend skipping the first third of the book, which is a bit intimidating, and focusing on the weight training information in the back, particularly the butt-kicking core and lower body workouts, which I’ve begun to incorporate into my new, tougher, regimen. Hopefully, this will be just the thing to get me back in top form.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Anatomy.