Reading Vacation's Reviews > Charlie

Charlie by Dalya Moon

Aug 02, 11

Read from July 24 to 26, 2011

Charlie Woodchuck stands out. She has a boy’s name, she doesn’t wear the latest styles, and she has zero interest in makeup. Charlie is a tom-boy among a sea of girlie girls. Now, sometimes a character is completely comfortable with standing out. Not in Charlie’s case. She is miserable about it.

The story is set in the simpler time of the 1980’s. There was limited technology and the problems seemed simpler. One of the big controversies were gender-specific classes. Charlie signed up for the boys-only shop class and was accepted because Charlie is a boy’s name. The school only let her stay in because it was too late to change her schedule. I liked the way Dalya Moon incorporated all sorts of details about the 1980’s.

I got even more interested in the story when Charlie started to consider that she may be adopted. I liked that a science lesson on genetics got her mind racing, and I was completely shocked by what she finally found out. Mostly, I liked that Charlie handled herself well and she grew more mature over the course of the story.

RATING

4 Liked

COVER COMMENTS

Charlie looks a bit like me with her brown hair and big brown eyes. I like the cute red hat and Charlie’s smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie.