Elisa Rolle's Reviews > The Bucolic Plague: How Two Manhattanites Became Gentlemen Farmers: An Unconventional Memoir

The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Jul 16, 11

Read in July, 2011

As soon as I read about The Fabulous Beekman Boys on a friend blog, I so much wanted to see the reality. But here in Italy it was on a cable network and it was a little expensive to pay for a year subscription just to see 10 30 minutes passages. So I set down to buy the DVD as soon as it was available… just to discover they didn’t deliver it in Italy (actually in Europe) since it was available only for US. I even tried to buy it on streaming when I was in Mexico, and no, actually it’s not even allow in South America… I was starting to resign myself to wait for October, my planned visit to NYC, when last night, I discover an economic format of the DVD (not the 2 disc edition I was moping on) that was available for Europe and of course I bought it immediately (should arrive soon). And since I was there, I went to my wish list and was almost buying the paperback version of The Bucolic Plague when I noticed it was available on Kindle! Yes, instant gratification, what is better in life?

Just to not sound as a complete idiot, I should probably explain why I’m so fascinated with this venture of Beekman 1802. I actually tried myself to realize my run from stressful job life change dream, but with no success; my little venture, the first coffee-bookstore open 7.00 a.m. to 2.00 a.m with wireless internet, bistro kitchen in medieval Italian historic centre on its first year of life was featured on the 2 most important travel magazine in Italy, was the subject of a bachelor degree thesis in finance as innovative business and hosted a national television channel showtime for one day… to close after 2 year due to the fact that, in the end, it was not enough to maintain itself and the people working for it. So yes, I’m vicariously enjoying Brent and Josh’s success and I wish them all the good in the world, and I’m here cheering for them and their goats, and Farmer John, and Doug and Gareth from The American Hotel, and Sharon Springs and Bubby the bionic cat and everyone in this story.

Yes, I’m still eagerly waiting for the DVD to arrive, but I think that now I will see it in a different way; since, from the outside, everything seemed perfect on that mansion, the pictures were wonderful, the recipes just out of an historical cook book, the dream even too easy to realize. I was thinking, lucky them, they are living an American dream (do you know that here in Italy, when someone realizes the dream of their life, we say it’s an “American Dream”?), and I’m happy, but also a little envious of them. Then reading the book, I understood that it was not so easy, that they, like many other before them, not only risked their future, but also their relationship. The story has an happily ever after, but it’s a “barely” stretched one, and in a way, it’s not even so sure the dream will survive its third year of life. True, the story closes before the reality showing them was aired, and now it’s at its third season, so maybe, in the end, they managed to survive third and fourth year and they are leading towards always greener pasture… again I wish them all the best.

Coming back to the story, even if this is not a fiction book, but more a memoir, the writing style is really easy and flowing, and sincerely it reads without any stopping like many of the romances I love, only that this is real life. There is even a funny story behind this dichotomy between real life and fictional story: way before I heard about the Beekman Boys, I included Josh Kilmer-Purcell on my Top Book of XXI century with his memoir I’m Not Myself These Days. I still remember some years ago going to his website and looking at the pictures of his life as Drag Queen and thinking, well, what an interesting man. It was 2006 and Beekman Mansion was, I believe, not in the picture (pun intended). Years later, browsing another website (www.beekman1802.com) I firstly didn’t recognize the co-owner of the mansion like the memoirist that so much fascinated me. But if you will decide to read the book, there is a lot of him in this story (of course, it’s real life!) and in a way, you could read this book as a sequel of I’m Not Myself These Days, just to know what happened to that Drag Queen… it’s an happily ever after story (at least until now!).

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bucolic Plague.