Geoff Woodland's Reviews > Far Away Home

Far Away Home by Susan   Denning

Jul 16, 2011

Read in July, 2011

Far Away Home is a joy to read. Within the time it took to read the first page I was in to the story. Susan Denning’s writing demanded that I kept turning the page, even at the risk of losing sleep. Meeting the main character, Aislynn, in New York, is to step back in time. Denning has captured the time and places of the mid 1800’s in America. Her detailed research is not overpowering, but it does help you to feel the cold of winter, the joy of spring, the smell of the trees, which were cut down to create Aislynn’s home. In her desire for accuracy, I believe Denning drove a covered wagon through similar terrain as did her main character when she crossed the wide open spaces between New York and Utah. Denning experienced the trials of such transport and her personal experience adds credibility to the story.
The relationship between the characters moves the story steadily forward. They became real to this reader, so much so, that I was quite sad to reach the end of the book. Perhaps Ms Denning will favour us with a sequel, as I’m sure many of her readers would like to know what happens to Aislynn. If you are interested in the old American west, and you like strong characters, who stand up for themselves and their friends, then this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far Away Home.