Christin's Reviews > An Arrow's Flight

An Arrow's Flight by Mark Merlis

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: m-m, greeks-and-romans-too, odysseus-and-friends, favorites
Read from August 23 to September 10, 2011

OOF. Spoilers ahead. Even though the spoilers could conceivably be listed as part of the premise, it was my favorite discovery as I was reading.

(here they come)

I thought the AIDS metaphor was very clever. A little part of my brain sat up and thought "oh well done" when I realized what was happening. (I imagine this voice like a stodgy old English chap, readjusting his monocle and then golf clapping at the end of some recitation held in a small library somewhere in Cambridge. Well done good fellow, well done. My inner monologue is from Tolkien apparently.) Which was a very cold reaction, I realize now, just having turned the last page and put the book down (I turned my computer on while I was finishing, getting ready to write this). That reaction left me completely vulnerable and blinded me to the inevitability of any story about AIDS. It will never, ever, ever end well.

I can root for a couple to get or stay together until the end. But I will always read about that end. That is a happier ending than the just walking away and washing your hands of someone, but it's cold comfort, just a splash of sweet with bitter.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Arrow's Flight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dana I just recently bought this at a thrift shop! Looks really good.

Christin Dana wrote: "I just recently bought this at a thrift shop! Looks really good."

Nice! I just heard about it on a podcast and it sounds like my subconscious jumped up and wrote a book for me.