James's Reviews > Deserter

Deserter by Mike Shepherd

Jul 17, 11

The previous book was not shoddy by any standards, but this book blew it out of the water. I noticed that someone commented in their review for the last one that it jumped around a bit, and looking back and comparing it to this one I have to agree. Whether that is because it was, or just because this one was so solid I don't know. All I can say is that this book was... 'right', there was no flimsy worthless bits and it continued to entertain all the way through.

As a series progresses I find it harder and harder to review a book, I find that you can praise the plot line, the new characters but in the end the book really is just an addition to the previous one; an add-on in a game if you will.

As such I can only praise the plot line as being amazing and well thought out. It really emphasised the loneliness of space and the dangers that it can bring - being trapped on a planet where everyone in power wants you dead, with no way to call for help, really drives this home. Furthermore, and I don't know if it was intentional, the author managed to liken the planet and its corrupt government to Nazi Germany, with an event similar to the 'night of the long knives', a ship being named 'Barbarossa' and an evil dictator who manages to coerce a government into giving him power - even if he did use a puppet leader to do it. Or is that just me?

The characters continued to develop and I really started to get to know some of them. Jack became a cool, suave guy while it was nice to see Kris develop her personality and an awareness for the worlds that surround her. Someone else mentioned that they had trouble with Kris' kinda-heartache over Tom, and I have to agree. In the previous book she showed no particular affection for him, and if anything it was Tom being a puppy eyed kid that hinted at anything. To see her mourn a possibility she never even considered in her wildest dreams seems a bit weak. On the other hand Hank was a nice continuation, and was a brilliant mirror to hold up to the character of Kris to show how she has developed recently - showing how she used to be naive about everything.

Uh... what else can I say? The writing was well done and captivating, the action scenes and emotions well presented and the entertainment value of the book overall not so bad. Ok, so sure, there are some people who will read this series and think, 'oh no, not another generic space opera rich chick story!', but in the end books are there for entertainment and this book certainly does that.

I would continue to recommend this to any fans of Sci-Fi, especially fans of Honor Harrington, and would happily suggest this to people looking to get in on the genre - though of course, you should start at the beginning of the series.

Have fun reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deserter.