Rhiannon's Reviews > A College of Magics

F 50x66
Mar 24, 2008

bookshelves: ya-books
Read in March, 2008

I really enjoyed this book. I was a little hesitant to get the book when I noticed the "age range" was projected for 9-12 year olds. Or maybe it was 9-12 grade? The reading level was never a problem... meaning I didn't feel like i was reading a children's book.
The narration seemed a little disconnected emotionally. Personal preference really comes in to play on that point. The style intrigued me, and I thought it was a great complement to the way Faris seemed to keep herself emotionally detached from everyone and everything.
I loved that Faris's maturation was very subtle. (I find that character growth often relies on nearly overnight epiphanies or is entirely lacking.) The story was definitely appealing and kept me engaged. It is a little slow in the beginning. No major 'action' or developments really happen until almost half way through the book. While much of the beginning may not seem all that necessary, some of it is very much necessary and the rest is needed to make it happen at the right time without repeated jumping ahead in the story. I welcomed and enjoyed the more fleshed out tales of Faris's beginnings at Greenlaw.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A College of Magics.

06/23/2016 marked as: read