Lauren's Reviews > Little Earthquakes

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Jul 17, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from July 16 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

I liked this book, but I had a hard time relating to the characters. Keep in mind, however, that I'm not a parent nor do I ever want to be a parent...so it's hard for me to understand why anyone in their right mind would want to have a baby. :)
If I had to choose one of the characters I most related to, I would pick Becky. I think it was because of the crazy relationship she had with her mother in law Mimi. My mother in law and I don't really get along very well, so I could totally relate. If I ever had a kid, I think I could see part of the Becky/Mimi relationship in the relationship between my MIL and I, well, that and I laid down the boundaries with MIL a while ago, and my husband isn't as much of a mama's boy as Andrew in the book was.
It was confusing at first when Lia's story was told in first person and Becky, Kelly and Ayinde were told in third person. I thought Weiner did a good job of developing all of the secondary characters.
My one gripe with the book is that I HATE HATE HATE when the book jacket gives away a major moment in the book. It says on the back of my book that Ayinde's husband cheated on her. Except that we didn't actually find out about that until page 200-something. Really, was that necessary? I mean, I think I would have seen it coming anyway, but it still annoyed me.
Overall a good read. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had any sort of desire to be a mom, but it was still a heartfelt read about the lives of four very different women and their friendship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Earthquakes.

07/16/2011 page 205