Joseph's Reviews > Howards End

bookshelves: my-ebooks, fiction
Read in April, 2008

eBook

Loved it.

There. I've spent far too much time trying to come up with something to write, when that's all I really need to say about this book.

It's funny and cutting and passionate. Margaret is such a wonderful character, so open to exploring the depths of her own mind. And Leonard. Leonard Bast is a masterpiece. I remember thinking after his hasty departure from Wickham Place that I desperately wanted to read more about him. Forster did not let me down.

I've been on Leonard's walk. That voyage, fraught with the potential of Answers, which turns out to be nothing more than an exhausting waste of time. When the sisters ask him if the dawn was wonderful, his one word response -- "No" -- is at once sublime comedy and powerful, moving, devastating tragedy.

Parts of the story were a little too predictable. Leonard's mistake in leaving his job, his dalliance with Helen, and her eventual pregnancy all seemed so transparently obvious, but there were also many elements to the story that were shocking, from Mrs. Wilcox leaving Howard's End to Margaret, the revelation of Mr. Wilcox's affair, or the death of Leonard.

On a side note, my eBook was littered with typos. Extra carriage returns, misspellings, zeroes instead of the letter O. I know I got this for free, but still ...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howards End.