Ariel's Reviews > The Tuesday Club Murders: A Miss Marple Mystery

The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: mystery-agatha-christie

I picked this book up to join in on the Agatha Christie read along at Book Club girl. There is an Agatha Christie read along challenge that is being hosted by several bloggers this summer. I would never have picked up this book except for the challenge. It turns out Miss Marple is the perfect kind of cozy mystery that I adore. This book is an introduction to Miss Marple who is an elderly lady who everyone dismisses because of her age and because she has rarely left her English village. It turns out that the village is the perfect place to study human nature and according to Miss Marple people do not change. In this book Miss Marple attends a dinner party where everyone takes turns telling a story about a mystery with which they have direct experience. Each story triggers a recollection of someone Miss Marple has known in her village and thus to everyone's surprise she is able to solve each mystery, including one that hasn't even happened yet! Even though everyone is very condescending to Miss Marple, at first even going so far as to register surprise that she wants to play along in their little mystery telling game, they soon come to respect her opinion. I love it when Miss Marple dishes the put downs right back at them. She tells one person that he couldn't be expected to understand what happened because he is of course a man. Go Miss Marple! I didn't spend too much time puzzling out the answers to the mysteries my self because I couldn't wait to read Miss Marple's explanations. A common theme to the solution of the mysteries was mistaken identity and greed. I thought that these stories would be a little old fashioned for my taste but I loved them. Miss Marple is right, human nature doesn't change and I could see anyone of these stories taking place today. I can't wait to start the next book in this challenge, 4:50 from Paddington.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tuesday Club Murders.