Estara's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy series
Recommended for: fans of the series - this is NOT a book to start it with
Read from October 30 to November 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Yes, this worked for me. I really liked seeing the developments of things from the god side - Yeine had been thrown into the mix of the upset in the first volume from outside the Arameri camp, she had to cope with introducing the whole world to us and finding her way in there.

Oree as narrator of the second book had shown the human perspective - or let's say mortal perspective ^^ - as much as a blind woman can, and now Sieh is the oldest child of two of the Three, if I understand this correctly, and starts out as godling and older brother and personfication of the concept of childhood (and, because his childhood was always rather troubled, and the millenia-long slavery to the Arameri has not made it any better, - bully).

I don't know whom he is supposed to tell this story to, especially considering how this ends up - but what this is the resolution of the family drama of the Three - more or less - the consequences of the God's War and of Enefa's choices even more and of Sieh wanting love that concentrates on him only.

I found the manifold lost threads that were picked up quite amazing, and N.K. Jemisin tries to give every thread its due - which accounts for the length of the book - but I would have preferred this in two books, or even a trilogy itself:
(view spoiler)

As always there are memorable side characters whom I want to know more about: Hymn, Sieh's sister Spider or the god of dreams (I wonder if that was a Sandman homage?).

I really enjoy the landscape Jemisin erects in my mind's eye - in the first we had floating Sky the palace, in the second we had the World Tree and Sky and bits of Shadow and in the third we have Echo (and I'm deeply appreciative of a loving sex scene which totally disregards shame or conventional morals) - really the pictures in my mind are like manga (maybe by the mangaka of Aria? or Kaoru Mori if she did fantasy?). And the concept of magic and gods power was really cool, as well.

I like the solution ^^(view spoiler)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.

10/31/2011 page 200
32.63% "Well, I've already run into some red herrings, but that happened to me in the previous two books as well. However, I *THINK* I know what part of the trouble for Sieh may be. We shall see if I guessed correctly ^^"
11/01/2011 page 320
53.0% "Well, as expected - it's getting more convoluted even as a few of my ponderings have been confirmed a lot has turned out differently. I am not suprised the ebook is so huge - even when considering the excerpt included - there is so much happening!"