Sophie's Reviews > Undead

Undead by Kirsty McKay

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011-debut, uk-author, for-review, signed
Read from August 31 to September 01, 2011

Kirsty McKay’s zombified debut, Undead, is one my favourite books so far this year, though I can’t quite put my finger on what made me love it so much!

Bobby is a brilliant protagonist. I have to admit that during the first few pages of the novel I wasn’t quite sure whether she was a boy or a girl, but once I’d figured out she was in fact a girl, I zoomed through this novel. I loved how confused Bobby was about whether she was British or American due to moving to the US when she was younger and then moving back a few months before the novel started. But my favourite thing about Bobby is how tough that girl is! She was literally Action Woman in her leaping into dangerous situations with very little thought. She’s awesome.

She’s not the only excellent character in Undead and my favourite was most definitely Smitty. I enjoy it when the rebellious, smart-mouthed guy turns out to be a strong leader and a decent human being. I may have fallen for him a little bit during the course of Undead... We also have the hugely irritating Alice and super-clever Pete to complete this very unlikely bunch; but it works.

The zombies that drew them together are brilliantly, and gruesomely, depicted. There was just enough gore surrounding the antics of the zombies to make me cringe but not enough to make me feel ill, and it was brilliant because you can't have a zombie novel without blood and guts! I thought t was interesting how Kirsty McKay created such a sure-fire explanation for zombification as it’s rarely known in other zombie YA.

I loved Undead and I can’t wait to see what Kirsty McKay writes next. And I’m hoping that it’ll be soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead.