Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)'s Reviews > The Babysitter Murders

The Babysitter Murders by Janet Ruth Young

Jul 16, 11

Read from July 15 to 16, 2011

The Babysitter Murders is a book I have heard nothing about and wasn't sure I would get to but am so glad that I did. I hadn't even read the synopsis for the book before starting, but for some reason it was calling to me so I decided to give it a try.

The title kind of makes it sound like it could be a gaudy cliche story (think the movie Scream). Or that it could be a gruesome serial killer tale. Fortunately it is neither - it actually deals with mental illness and thoughts that the main character Dani has that seem to be uncontrollable.

I WHIPPED through the pages of this one. As the reader, you get to spend some time with Dani in her normal life, which us to how her thoughts are affecting her. When she tries to fix it herself, the entire town finds out what she has been thinking, and everything goes crazy.

Janet Ruth Young did an excellent job dealing with Dani's condition and keeping the reader riveted. There weren't hints of what was to come, so throughout the book you never know what to expect. I was holding my breath in certain chapters because I was terrified, and other chapters I was so sad for what was happening. A few times we see scenes or things written by other characters, and we are also exposed to news articles about the entire situation.

The Babysitter Murders is an excellent, excellent book about the human mind and how individuals react to threats. I hope that readers realize what it is truly about and aren't afraid to pick it up - not only will you learn about Dani and her condition, but you will learn a lot about yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Babysitter Murders.

07/15/2011 page 75