Ryan's Reviews > Dragons of Winter Night

119733
Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: junk
Read in July, 2011

God, I reviewed the first part of the series a bit more favorably, but I like this less the more I read.

Where to start? The characters: two dimensional with a couple of glaring examples where their personalities magically take bizarre left-hand turns. Example: the main character (at least the leader) Tanis, comes across a woman he fell in love with a few years before. He gets the opportunity to sleep with her and then starts thinking about becoming evil and taking over the world for profit. This makes no sense out of context, but Tanis being a "good guy" has been the motivation for most of the core characters for the past two books.

Another huge mark against this book would be the exclusion of several major parts of the story. These chapters were omitted from the story, even though they included major character and plot development, that was referred to for the rest of the book. Why was this material removed from the story? So that the authors could add this story to a series of short stories and hopefully rabid fans would buy another book or two just to get this missing material. Lame.

When I was a kid, I loved this series, and now, as an adult, I know why I loved it so much. Hormones, that's it. I loved it because every character that wasn't a dwarf has at least one love interest that was, according to the writers, the most beautiful woman anyone had ever seen. Anyway, avoid this series unless you are nostalgic like I was was or you have recently reached puberty. To finish this, I still have o read the third book, pray for me...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons of Winter Night.