Amanda's Reviews > Tangled Tides

Tangled Tides by Karen Amanda Hooper

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: ya, 2011debute
Read from November 06 to 13, 2011

Mini-Review: A hurricane of emotions and mythical creatures with star-crossed lovers who refuse to give up on each other, on love, and on hope for a better future. Mermaids and selkies and sirens, OH MY!

My Thoughts:
Note: As a blogger, I have come to know quite a few writers online, both published and aspiring authors; Karen Amanda Hooper is one of them. She is an awesome person and I'm happy to have stumbled upon her blog when I was first starting out, not only because she is such a cool person (she really is) but because it gave me the opportunity to learn about her work. So I was more than happy to add my list to the names of potential reviewers when Rhemalda took on Tangled Tides, and I was thrilled when they sent me a copy of the eARC. My feelings for the author aside, I really enjoyed this book.

Now then, when I started the book, I will admit that it took me a few pages to really settle into Yara's perspective. It wasn't the writing or that she isn't easy to relate to (because she is), I just needed to settle into the story and to accept the way Yara sees the world and people around her. Hooper throws you into the action immediately -- there's no waiting around -- and then things are happening non-stop.

The characters are easy to relate to and, personally, I found myself rooting for everyone. What can I say? I didn't want anyone to get hurt. Obviously there has to be some pain involved, but I won't spoil that for you lovely readers; though, I will admit that I was so invested in everyone by the end that there were tears.

The world building is fantastic, and I am so incredibly intrigued by the process of changing forms and also happy that Hooper actually explains it rather than just glossing over it all. And the writing! Dual POV is hard enough to pull off, but Hooper tackles three (THREE!), and it never gets confusing. I loved seeing things from multiple points of view, especially considering the opposition between them all. It was very well done and definitely added more to the story.

Tangled Tides is a fantastic tale of tormented sea creatures, hope, and love, and I can't wait to see what else Hooper dreams up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangled Tides.

11/13/2011 page 118