DarienMoya's Reviews > Bullied

Bullied by Jeff Erno

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: three-dollar-bill-reviews, 2011-reads, favorites, young-adult, my-m-m-lovin, let-the-tears-flow
Read from August 21 to September 03, 2011

^^ LEFT ME IN TEARS!^^

This book played on every emotion, every single one of them. The strongest emotion I felt was anger; because there are so many young people going through these same issues that Jeff expresses so wonderfully in this book of short stories. He manages to capture everything in these stories, with an underlying of hope and most of all love. I cried through out reading the entire book, and I commend Jeff in sharing issues facing LGBT youth.

Jeff possesses a gift. A gift of connecting to the reader and making you feel for all his characters. I never cry for any other books as much as I do for a Jeff Erno book. In Bullied all seven of these wickedly emotional stories had me in tears, whether from sadness or from pure joy.

The Stories: Blending In, Chuckie, Saved, Different, Invisible, Shame, Kirby. All these stories could have been a repetitive mess, but instead each story offers up a variety of content. Though the victims all seem familiar, in the end it’s a realistic view on what some people might think “a male should not be”. Because males are supposed to be tough, grow 6ft tall, and play extreme sports (gimme a break).

What makes this book truly special is the talent the author has to make each character believable. From the bully, to the victim, or the mom trying to wrap her mind around her son being gay. It was like reading a story about real people, and their struggles. Though you might think. Man, this book sounds depressing. This book mostly is about friendship, love and the power to overcome all.

I have to say Kirby is my favourite story in the bunch. The fat kid who was bullied, by none other than someone who claims to be his best-friend. After being humiliated and made to feel horrible about himself. Kirby still came out on top. Loved it so much. My least favourite (not because it sucked) and the saddest (the reason) of them all is Different. Different manages to touch on gay hierarchy, where another gay person feels that they are better than the other is. I guess if we are going to stop discrimination, we need to start on the inside. Different was very hard for me read, and though the ending is optimistic, still left an ache in my heart.

Overall, I recommend this read. One of these stories is guaranteed to resonate with its reader. You might really love one or you might love them all. I can honestly say this is one powerful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bullied.

08/27/2011 page 5
09/02/2011 page 27
17.0% "Shit! This is hard to read, my eyes haven't been dry since I started reading."
09/02/2011 page 102
65.0% "It's so HARD to read this. It makes my heartache, my soul sad. Most of all it pisses me off because all this hate does happen."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

DarienMoya Getting ready to cry my fecking eyes out.

message 2: by Lakeisha (new) - added it

Lakeisha lol aint no shame...i too will have this problem. Jeff has a profound effect on my emotions