Jenna's Reviews > Cinder and Ella

Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, waste-of-time, disappointing, ho-hum, not-a-retelling-at-all
Read from July 15 to August 01, 2011

I made the mistake of thinking this was going to be a retelling of "Cinderella." I've just learned a lesson to never judge a book by its title.

There isn't anyone I can think of that I'd recommend this book, or for any situation I think it would be appropriate. For me, this book failed on every level. The characterizations were confusing and weak. The plot slides all over the place. The dialogue is stilted and cringe-inducing. This book is so choppy and disorganized that it reads like a first draft. The writing is just a mess. I actually took some extra time to read over sentences and paragraphs so that they might actually take shape in my brain and so that I may understand what in tarnation the author might possibly be trying to tell me. This didn't always work. Most of what happens in "Cinder & Ella" just doesn't make any sense -- and the author did nothing to try to convince me that it should.

I can't really be bothered to try to summarize the plot, mostly because I think I'd be working harder than the writer did to explain what's going on. Reading a simple children's story should not be this difficult. Save yourselves!

I think the people who would be enticed to read this book are the same people who would fall for the same trick I did, which was thinking it was a young adult retelling of the beloved Grimm fairy tale. There are so many other books out there that pull off that concept. Potential readers should be advised to look elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder and Ella.

07/20/2011 page 14
7.0% "Not impressed so far."
07/27/2011 page 59
28.0% "This is pretty boring. Why do I do this to myself?"
07/31/2011 page 141