Kate's Reviews > Mushishi, Vol. 1

Mushishi, Vol. 1 by Yuki Urushibara

Jul 15, 2011

bookshelves: 8-mushishi
Read in July, 2011

Mushishi follows the story of Ginko, a wandering mushi master who helps those affected by mushi, creatures that fall somewhere between animal and plant life. The series is episodic in nature, although as the stories progress, the reader learns how Ginko came into his work and more about the mushi themselves.

The artwork is exquisite - simple, calm, and often understated, yet compelling in the way it tells the story. The story itself can be haunting at times, using the mushi as a vehicle to tell Japanese folklore, which I have always found to be so intriguing.

Mushishi is a 10 volume series, and it has a 26 episode anime based off of it (which is stunning). I watched the anime a few years ago and I have been curious about the manga ever since. It looks to me that the anime only covers about half of the manga, although I have only read through volume 4, so I have yet to encounter new material. Either way - whether the material is familiar to me or new - I look forward to reading each new chapter. Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mushishi, Vol. 1.