Melody's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Mar 24, 08

Read in March, 2008

First, let me say that I'm glad I waited. This is my first reading of TKaM, and no, I've never seen the movie either. I don't know why I never read it as a kid, I've certainly always been aware of it and the status it has, but somehow I never picked it up. I suspect whole swaths of it would have been wasted on my younger self. Of course, I further suspect that I'll garner more from this book with each subsequent reading.
It's a masterpiece, there's nothing more to say about it.
1 like · likeflag

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erin I'm almost envious that you get to read and enjoy this book for the first time as an adult. It's so dear to so many, many people. See the movie when you have the chance. Gregory Peck makes the PERFECT Atticus, and while, as is nearly always true, the novel is better than the movie, you'll just come away loving both.

Melody I have the movie on my list!

Susan Yippee!! Something we totally agree on, Melody.

This is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. Interestingly, you mentioned thinking a lot of it might have been wasted on a younger you, if you'd read it long ago. I can see your point, but, otoh, I read it in 8th grade English class, and for a person who was just sort of awakening to her sense of indignation about racism and injustice in this world, it was a WONDERFUL way of helping to inform that and to help that process begin to unfold, you know?

I concur with Erin's remark about Gregory Peck. He was truly the perfect casting choice for Atticus.

Melody Susan-

I am glad you found this book when you were a kid. I think I would have loved it too, had I read it then.

What I think I'm trying to say about reading it late is how lucky I felt to be aware that I was turning the pages of what may be the best novel ever written. How pleased I was to savor the quality of the prose along with the story. Something that would have registered dimly, if at all, on my youthful brain.

Susan Thanks for that. It makes such perfect sense to me... and also really makes me want to pick the book up again!