Marissa's Reviews > The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International

Jul 15, 2011

Read from July 15 to September 02, 2011

This book is not only the how-to guide that it purports to be. As previous reviewers have noted, it is a manifesto of sorts on BFing. I say that in a positive way. As a first time mom surrounded by BFing skeptics, I really needed encouragement for my BFing plans. This book not only gave me guidance and confidence that all first-time BFers need, it also helped me to feel less intimated by those around me who doubt the benefits and importance of BFing.

Now I'm hardly a hardcore BFer (I actually haven't tried it yet because my baby hasn't been born yet, but I feel much better about my choice now that I've read this book.

The only complaint I have, if you can call it that, is that it did make me panic about my birth plan. There is a whole chapter about birth and how it relates to BFing and it made me start to panic about the possibility of medical interventions interfering with my plans to BF. This could just be my own personality.

I highly recommend this book to those interested in BFing. I just advise them to be aware of the vehemence behind LLL's "party line."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.