Lily's Reviews > The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients

The Gift of Therapy by Irvin D. Yalom

Jul 15, 11

Read in July, 2011

This book was excellent even though it's written in a less-than-detailed or fully elaborated way. Usually books like this irritate me because they tend to be a bunch scattered ideas that don't even really go together. However the ideas in this book are consistent.

Because its ideas are shared in brief sketches, it's perfect for reading on a commute or for people who just have a bit of time here and there. I read it out of sequence according to whatever chapters caught my eye. It is definitely just for people who are interested in therapy or in helping people, however. It is not therapy itself, and is not meant for a general audience in this sense. Considering that, it's amazing how many reviews/ ratings this book has, which I am taking to be reflective of how many have been sold. It seems like every would-be or amateur therapist must have read this book!

Speaking of how many books sold, Yalom mentions his other books several times. It's a bit tacky in my opinion. If I like a book, I will naturally look for other books by the same author; I will consult the endnotes; etc. He doesn't need to interpolate references to his other works. A few times would have been fine, perhaps once for each, but he mentions each of his books several times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gift of Therapy.