Ghislaine's Reviews > Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: adventure, books-for-the-beast, historical-fiction, sci-fi-fantasy, ya-fiction, young-adult, audio, steampunk
Recommended to Ghislaine by: Books for the Beast
Read from July 21 to August 01, 2011

This is an interesting alternate history of the beginning of World War I. My favorite genre has always been historical fiction, but I have been reading more and more science fiction/fantasy lately. This blends the two and is the first steampunk novel I have read.

With certain aspects of the story being real information from the past, the fictional additions are seamlessly woven into the tapestry of the adventure. As the two storylines move closer together, then interconnectedness becomes more apparent.

Alek, being the son of the assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, must flee for his safety. His escape is facilitated with a handful of his most loyal companions. After crossing into neutral territory he encounters the crashed English airship, Leviathan.

Deryn is in the British Air Service disguised as a boy. Flying is the only thing that she has ever wanted to do with her life and she is living her dream aboard the living, breathing airship, Leviathan. On a top secret mission the airship is brought down and the crew must depend on the group of Austrians in the mountains to survive.

This book raises the issue of the role of machines and genetic manipulation in society. What would the world be like if war machines were alive and manipulated to benefit the cause of their country.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.