AH's Reviews > Dust & Decay

Dust & Decay by Jonathan Maberry

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley-grab, zombies, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, zzread-july-2011
Read from July 15 to 23, 2011

Dust & Decay picks up seven months after the events of Rot & Ruin. Our young heroes – Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong have been training with Benny’s big brother Tommy. They learn his “Warrior Smart” method of protecting themselves from the zombies because you never know when one of your friends or loved ones will become a zombie…

This is a brutal world. People live in fenced, gated, and well armed communities. Travel outside these towns requires planning, heavy carpet coats, and a disgusting concoction that hides human scent called cadaverdine. Oh, don’t forget the katana swords and other assorted weapons.

Our heroes leave their small town in search of an airplane last spotted at the end of the last book. This airplane represents hope that there is life outside the Ruin. They embark on a journey through zombie infested lands where they encounter zombies (no surprise there), a preacher, and even a rhinoceros.

A recurring theme in this series is that zombies were people once. Tommy always teaches the kids to treat the zombies with respect because they were once someone’s family. Tommy never “quiets” a zombie unless the zombie is a threat to him or his friends.

There is a lot of action and sword swinging in this book, as well as a lot of moaning zombies. The scariest characters had to be the adults - the Preacher and White Bear and their gang. Their vision of a new society, complete with the Children of Lazarus (read: zombies) was truly horrifying. All of the Zombie Card heroes appear in this book. I did find the surfer dudes a little annoying, but they were good fighters. The fight scenes are exciting and the kids were extremely resourceful.

I loved the main characters, especially the girls. Lilah, who had lived on her own for most of her life, is one of my favorites. She is a warrior, almost feral, a force to be reckoned with. I found that in this book, Lilah’s character changed the most. She learned to trust and to love. Nix is the thinker, the scientist of the group. Her diary entries make a great addition to the book. Her journal entries give insight into many aspects of life in the Ruin: zombie information, tools of the trade, survival tips, and more. We even get a glimpse of her feelings for Benny.

I enjoyed this book. It is rather long (about 520 pages), but the chapters are short so that a younger reader may not feel intimidated by the book’s length. My 12 year old reluctant reader took a peek and agreed that it would be something he would like to read.

*Thank you Simon & Schuster Galley Grab for a review copy of this book.

Check out my review at Badass Book Reviews

Update 1/15/12 - The author has posted extra scenes that occur between Rot&Ruin and Dust&Decay here. Click on the read bonus material banner for the extra chapters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust & Decay.

07/15/2011 page 109
07/18/2011 page 160
30.0% 9 comments
07/19/2011 page 256
48.0% "Nix's journal entries really add an interesting point of view to the story. Most of her journal has been about zombie research and weapons to use against zombies. I really liked the entry about her feelings for Benny. So astute!" 2 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

Kellyflower I'm really looking forward to reading this one!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I enjoyed it. I just got my youngest to start reading Rot & Ruin and he likes it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy OMG! THis book is chunky monky long!! But sounds mondo cool!!

AWesome review

and zoinks!! I just noticed BADASS BOOK REVIEWS!!

Yes... I'm slow ;)

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Cool, huh?

Greta is Erikasbuddy yes yes!!!

Giselle Oh I just bought Rot&Ruin!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH It's a fun little book. It got my 12 year old reading.

Giselle Oh. Think a 28 year old would still like it? O_O

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I liked it. It's a nicer kind of zombie book.

Giselle Oh that's good to know! I'm reading it for a blog event next month so I'll be sure to let you know if I liked it! :)

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Can't wait to read your review.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I'm so upset that it appears that they removed me from Simon & Schuster Galley Grab. I used to love this feature :(

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I haven't received Galley Grab in a while either. No notice, no more emails since November.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews I was afraid to email them and ask if they discontinued it for some reason. I mean, look at all the S&S books that have come out since!

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I wonder if anyone has gotten a Galley Grab email in a while. Have you asked around? Maybe they stopped the program? Or cut us off, lol.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Every time I ask I get the sound of crickets echoing back to me. I don't know if I've pissed off a bunch of people, or what. Anyway....I did email them but they never responded to me. I apologized, just in case they found me to be lacking.

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Oh, well. I wouldn't apologize. You are doing something for FREE. Maybe they had a computer glitch, who knows.