Angela's Reviews > Rules of Attraction

Jul 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: coming-of-age, contemporary, romance, summer-reads-2011, ya
Read from July 15 to 16, 2011

Rules of Attraction is the sequel/companion book to Perfect Chemistry. I think to truly enjoy this novel one would have to read the first book.

Rules of Attraction follows Alex's younger brother Carlos and his soon to be love interest Kiara. Set in Colorado, Carlos is now reluctantly living with his brother and trying to be the best bad-ass he can be. He too is involved with gangs and finds that leaving the lifestyle behind is near impossible.

Once again, Elkeles writes strong, independent characters who's alternating perspectives share the same tone and voice. I had a hard time connecting with Kiara the way I had with Brittney. In fact, I just found her sorta boring. Carlos, on the other hand, was borderline annoy, but he brought personality and flavor to the mix. And he attempted to make some decent food, of which I am a fan. Food good.

I did not feel the same sense of danger in Rules of Attraction that I had felt in its predecessor. Nor did I feel the same connection with either of the protagonist, plus their love story fell flat. Also, the ending felt a bit rushed and unbelievable.

My favorite part of this novel was seeing Brittney and Alex again. I couldn't wait for them to show up. And maybe that's wherein lies the problem, they simply out shined Carlos and Kiara.

Overall, I thought this novel was a quick, fun read. But I'm not sure I would have liked it so much if I hadn't enjoyed the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Attraction.

07/15/2011 page 130
40.0% "What does it say about me as a person that I've been downing margaritas whilst reading this novel?"
show 1 hidden update…

Dayana Gonzalez I also think Perfect Chemistry was better than Rules of Attraction..

Angela I think it was a combination of a few things but mostly that I likey the Alex way more than the Carlos... In fact, I might have already skimmed through Perfect Chemistry, stopping only to read my most favorite Alex moments. *blushes* I am ssssssuuuuuch a girl. *facepalms*

Dayana Gonzalez Me too, hahahaha ;)