Catherine's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Jul 15, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, non-fiction
Read from April 26 to May 24, 2012

Bill Bryson is not kidding with this title. There's a lot of information in this book, and to be honest, I didn't really care about all of it. I probably read about 75%, but considering that it's a rather hefty book, I'll give myself credit for reading an entire book's worth of information. It took me almost a month to get through this book, because I got bogged down in the bits about atoms & whatnot and had to take a fiction break.

I have a rather roller-coaster-esque relationship with Mr. Bryson. I have LOVED some of his books and absolutely loathed others. This was closer to the love category. He has a way of finding all those sordid little bits of history, and in this case science, to sprinkle throughout his writing. Scientists are some crazy people -- especially the geniuses of the group. Even beyond the biographical information, he made the information interesting to someone like me, who doesn't know a lot about science. (When I read chapters or excerpts to my Science-teacher husband, he already knew most of it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.