Elspeth's Reviews > The Darkness That Comes Before

The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker

Aug 31, 13

bookshelves: in-mourning-for-the-trees-lost

I never finished this book, actually I never finished the first chapter.

I couldn't read this book it was like the author grabbed a thesaurus and picked out vocabulary that would have even made Jerome Shostak have to look it up!
It made me hate the author...it felt arrogant, high handed and pissed me off.

*shivers*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkness That Comes Before.

08/31/2013 marked as: dnf
09/27/2013 marked as: read

Elspeth My husband calls it Boredom That Comes Before, for a while I couldn't remember the real title!

message 2: by Zak (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zak Oglesby I agree with what your saying about the language in the prologue. I nearly put the book down myself. However I found that after you got past and into the first Chapter it seemed to ease up slightly.

Elspeth I love to read and I love to hear that others love to read but this book wasn't for me.
Different strokes for different folks and all that.
I just found it pretentious and couldn't get into it...neither could my husband or my best friend.
So if you find you like the books that I like skip this title and move on.
Well unless you liked Shostak in High School...then this book is for you!
So, for my ennui I will stick to my antediluvian fancies and go for witty perusal.

Gavin I nearly gave up on this book but I'm glad I did not. It took about 100 pages to get used to the style Bakker used and after that it was great stuff.

message 5: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff I am interested in this book but have not yet read it. Your review inspired me to look at the first few pages in an online sample of the book. I came upon a bunch of words that I didn't know, but they were all words invented for the book's world (including many proper nouns--place names, etc.). The author certainly starts the reader off in the middle of things, using terms no reader could know and providing only context rather than explanation to guide the reader towards their meaning.

Is this what turned you off, or did I just not pick up on the thesaurus-digging? The pre-existing English words that he used seemed pretty regular to me, but as I mentioned, I only dipped into the first few pages.

Leon Aldrich Epic Fantasy of this caliber are worth it.

Elspeth I love epic fantasy, I just like good epic fantasy and I didn't find this one apealing at all.

Leon Aldrich Liz wrote: "I love epic fantasy, I just like good epic fantasy and I didn't find this one apealing at all."

I guess what makes me cry is one star reviews based on a partial read. And why I changed my Harry Potter status from "one star/unread" back to "to-read" status. It was unfair of me to rate a book I hadn't actually read.

I'm not picking on you (trust me). But what would you consider EPIC? (reviewing your shelves now).

For me it doesn't have to be a series. Stand-alones are fine. But the page count generally is 600+ pages and many times the page count is 800+.

I've seen where folks love Bakker, but hate Rothfuss. Love Rothfuss but hate Jordan. Love Goodkind/Terry Brooks but hate all the previous.

It appears we both love: JV Jones, David Farland, James Clemens, Brent Weeks, Peter Brett, Patricia McKillip, Robert Jordan, Patrick Rothfuss.

Patricia McKillip's "Riddlemaster Trilogy" and "Forgotten Beast of Eld" have been a 30+ year favorite of mine. I'm amazed at how many people thumb their nose at McKillip (they are missing out).

I guess what I'm really saying here is, "I don't want you to miss out." (grin)

Three of my all time favorite recommendations are:
Replay, Jumper and Mother of Demons.

message 9: by Razael (new)

Razael i cant write a review if i dont mark this book as "read" or "reading" so i will comment here. i try to read the book. The first chapter left me confused and i didnt understand notthing. The style is bad. I see im not alone here.

Elspeth Razael wrote: "i cant write a review if i dont mark this book as "read" or "reading" so i will comment here. i try to read the book. The first chapter left me confused and i didnt understand notthing. The style i..."

This is why it will be forever know as The Boredom That Comes Before in my house hold.

message 11: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff How often does that come up? In my house we usually forget boring books pretty quickly.

message 12: by Razael (new)

Razael I just quoted with "boredom..." in another book forum :) The scores from readers told me enought. Im not going to compare mistborn to this, but when i click on the mistborn page here i can rarely see a score under 4 stars/

Elspeth When talking about other books we find boring...its like a rating system.
Scenario:

"This book is SO boring!"
"Is it as boring as The Boredom That Comes Before?"
"No, Boredom is still number one in that category."

So, we also abbreviate it like in the scenario.

Dharmakirti I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you give a rating to a book you haven't read? This is a bit irresponsible, no?

Elspeth Dharmakirti wrote: "I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you give a rating to a book you haven't read? This is a bit irresponsible, no?"

The review I gave was for what I read and my opinion on the writing style.
So in MY review I stated what I felt to warn other like minded people to stay away from this book.
I have rated a few books I haven't read, and no its not irresponsible.
It would be irresponsible for me to not warn others of this book. They might go out and waste money on it when they can buy something better and a hell of a less boring.

message 16: by MLE (last edited Aug 14, 2012 09:54AM) (new)

MLE Dharmakirti wrote: "I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you give a rating to a book you haven't read? This is a bit irresponsible, no?"

description

message 17: by Razael (new)

Razael I try to read it, but i couldnt finish the book.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris I smell sockpuppets! :D

Elspeth Chris wrote: "I smell sockpuppets! :D"

lulz

message 20: by Razael (new)

Razael But i finished and liked a lot of books that are considered sci fi/fantasy classics

message 21: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris You rate the book and review it without even finishing the first chapter? The book used vocabulary that was over your head? Sounds to me like that's your problem, not the author's. I had no troubles understanding it at all. Granted its not the best book out there, but because you lack an understanding of the English language is no reason to criticize it.

message 22: by MLE (new)

MLE Christopher wrote: "You rate the book and review it without even finishing the first chapter? The book used vocabulary that was over your head? Sounds to me like that's your problem, not the author's. I had no trouble..."

My aren't we quick to jump to conclusions. Maybe it's not because the language was over her head, but because it felt more like a vocabulary exercise than a story.

Elspeth Awesome Sauce, I love it!
Trolling my review, calling me an illiterate idiot.
What a nice guy you are Christopher, thank you!

Now lets check what one star means?
Hmmm, yeah it means I didn't like it...which I didn't.
I never said that I didn't understand it.
KTHXBYE!

message 24: by Chris (last edited Oct 24, 2012 06:40PM) (new) - added it

Chris No, I mock you because you don't even finish the book before reviewing it. That is a sloppy thing to do and your review is completely biased and uninformed as a result.

It felt like a vocabulary exercise? I'm not trolling but I honestly didn't get that. Its hardly advanced English and its not the author's fault, nor mine that you were unable to grasp the material. That's all, no more, no less

And by the way, just because someone happens to disagree with your pitiful excuse of a review does not construe trolling.

KTHXBYE! ;) Stick with your Hunger Games and Twilight series hmmm?

message 25: by MLE (new)

MLE Christopher wrote: "No, I mock you because you don't even finish the book before reviewing it. That is a sloppy thing to do and your review is completely biased and uninformed as a result.

It felt like a vocabulary e..."

I was going to write some long defense of my reading habits and tastes, but then I figured why bother. You already know everything about me. So, yes I'm nothing but a vapid Twilight fanatic. Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify your patronizing attitude towards those who fail to share your taste in reading materials, or write reviews to your standards.

description

I'm going to run off now and puff paint some more team Edward sweat shirts, twirl my hair, and chew my gum. Thanks for setting me straight.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Not your call to make. This is someone's opinion. If you disagree, you do not get to bully them or insult their intelligence.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by harassing and insulting the reviewer.

Strangely enough, nobody here feels the need to jump into the comments of a 5 star review (such as yours, Christopher) and declare you a pompous, over-educated and pretentious ass for liking this book.

You can put me with the Twilight crowd.

message 28: by MLE (last edited Oct 25, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

MLE Sandra wrote: "I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by harassing and insulting the revi..."

Welcome to the club. Want me to puff paint you a jacket, or I could get really fancy and bedazzle it.

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Bedazzled? Oooh, shiny!

Elspeth I am SO sorry that I offended your intelligence, that I had the nerve to state this book bored me with its meaningless high vocabulary and info dumping.
I hear it got SO much better after the first 100 pages, but I personally like to read things that I enjoy from page one.
Oh, and I have never read Twilight or Hunger Games, are they any good?
Unlike you, I feel no need to hate on people that read.
Who the fuck cares if they like Twilight or Hunger Games, they are reading aren’t they?
I love the fact that people read, even if what they are reading are books not to my liking.
They are fucking reading, and that is all that matters.
So Mr. Troll, have fun judging people who don’t like the same books that you do. I hope you are happy in your world of people that think just like you!

message 31: by MLE (new)

MLE Lyn wrote: "Christopher wrote: "That is a sloppy thing to do and your review is completely biased and uninformed as a result.."

Of course he can Lyn becuase that just makes any point he's attempting to make that much stronger and more valid. Doesn't it?

Sandra wrote: "Bedazzled? Oooh, shiny!"

Nothing but the best for our club.

message 32: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Sandra wrote: "I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by harassing and insulting the revi..."

Text sounds critical and mean spirited. Where Chris and I both agree:
its silly to one star review any book that you not only didn't finish, but didn't even make it out of chapter one. This book didn't really take off for me until around page 100. But based on my 1000's & 1000's of novels I have read, I knew instinctively Bakker is a master wordsmith.

Much like my attitude about the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. For the longest time I thought this movie was among the lamest of the lame. I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and proceeded to mind-block it into the "never watch this crap" corner of my pea-sized man brain (grunts like a caveman here).

About a month ago, I watched the movie. I kicked myself! What a beautiful heart warming story... What the hell was I thinking?

So in our (Chris and myself) defense, this novel is our Fried Green Tomatoes.

p.s. I need to read: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe & The Help.

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky I rate books I havent read, I'm really lenient with books, and if it cant drag me in after 50 pages than the author has failed. If its a particularly long book I will give it 100 pages to get going. I see nothing wrong with rating a book that you didnt finish.

Ignore the loons Elspeth. Respectfully disagreeing and being rude are entirely different things. I'll never understand that small percent of goodreaders that go out of their way to force their opinions down your throat. Just leave it alone, eh?

message 34: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Becky wrote: "I rate books I havent read, I'm really lenient with books, and if it cant drag me in after 50 pages than the author has failed. If its a particularly long book I will give it 100 pages to get going..."

My feelings our hurt. I didn't get any GR luvin for my comments. Must mean its time to reread The Notebook.

message 35: by Becky (new)

Becky Oh no, Leon, I thought your comment was perfectly fine. I had just read all 32 comments, so I was reacting to the whole thread :D

Elspeth Leon wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by harassing and ins..."
I will say it again, one star means I didn't like this book, I read enough to realize this.
I spoke the reasons why I didn’t care for it in my review, which is under the shelf in my humble opinion.
I have said this before and I will say it again, I could have one stared this book because I hated the cover or the font was not my liking. It is my review, and as long as I stay in the rules of goodreads I can write whatever I want.
I didn’t, because that would be silly, and just plain meanness on my part.
Chris, you already have me placed in a neat little box, and I know I cannot say anything to change that.
Leon, thanks for your opinion, but I really didn’t like this book, and I will not read something that I find boring. I have too much on my to read list to do that to myself.
Now, I am done with this.

message 37: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Elspeth wrote: "Leon wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by hara..."

Sometimes its interesting to see how many comments and replies you get.

I am surprised Becky stuck up for you though. Does she know you gave Warded Man three stars? (attempted humor).

Now i'm wondering how many have read Branderson's "Legion" yet?

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky Bah, my husband doesnt even like Warded Man. He said that it was stupid and boring... he finished it, but he refuses to read the next one. So I'm already used to butting heads over that one ;) Then again, he read the The Silmarillion people are allowed to be whimsical, inconsistent, and entirely arbitrary in their tastes. There is no stepping it or helping it hahaha.

message 39: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Becky wrote: "Bah, my husband doesnt even like Warded Man. He said that it was stupid and boring... he finished it, but he refuses to read the next one. So I'm already used to butting heads over that one ;) Then..."

Yikes! The Silmarillion. Is he on GR so we can tease him too?

BOOK MENTION: Riddle-Master: The Complete Trilogy. Read it. Love it. Review it!

Gavin It was me that posted the comment about it getting better after the first 100 pages. I really thought it did, and was just trying to emphasize that early on I felt much the same as you did. The book grew on me but I can definitely understand why some people might hate it.

Like you I have no problem ditching a book if I'm not enjoying it, or sharing the reasons why with others. Life is too short and there is too many good books out there to waste time on something that you are not enjoying.

Sorry if I upset you with my comment. I did not intend to do so. I just got caught up gushing about something I liked. For what it's worth I'm a fan of the Hunger Games.

Leon-I have not read "Legion" yet but I plan to remedy that very soon!.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the Silmarillion (I need to rate it, it seems - I read it prior to joining GR). I actually thought it read nicely, whereas LotR almost made my brain bleed out, since it was beaten repeatedly with minor details about the color of the grass.

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Leon wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I don't understand why people who rated a particular book 5 stars feel compelled to jump into the comments on a 1 star review of the same book to defend the book by harassing and ins..."

See, you seem like a nice fella. You didn't feel the need to jump down Elspeth's throat and force your opinion on her. Whether it's silly for her to one star a DNF remains a matter of opinion. I've done it, though I mostly give a DNF no rating. Still, that's a personal choice, and Elspeth is free to do things the way she sees fit on her own shelves.

Discussing the merits and demerits of a book is one thing - forcing one's opinion on another by belittling and insulting them is quite something different.

Elspeth I didn’t love nor hate the Warded Man, but I haven’t the urge to read the second book even though I own it.
I bought Legion, read the first few pages and it looks really pretty, but another bright shiny came to my attention.
I am rereading The Collegium Chronicles because I love them so much since the fourth one just came out.
I also have a TON of Net Galley books I need to read, and I also have bought a ton from Amazon recently because Fall seems to be the time to release awesome books!
I cannot wait for Kate Griffons new book coming out next week, all books will take the back seat for that one!

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky I love the Valdemar books, wonderful delicious braincandy. They're my go-to books for "god the weather is awful and I want to sit in bed and read something I'm familiar with." I even own some of the Heather Alexander/Lackey filk music that goes with the Vanyel series.

message 45: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Elspeth wrote: "I didn’t love nor hate the Warded Man, but I haven’t the urge to read the second book even though I own it.

I wonder if the medical community has a name for it? When a reader can't finish the next book in a series because another shiny book just got released.

I stack the ones I'm going to read only pulling from the stop of the stack. It mostly works. Sometimes the stack falls over. Accidentally. Earth's gravitational pull or gremlins. I can't always remember the stack order (cough), so I force myself to settle on one of the new shiny books.

Elspeth Gavin wrote: "It was me that posted the comment about it getting better after the first 100 pages. I really thought it did, and was just trying to emphasize that early on I felt much the same as you did. The boo..."

No, I am not upset by what you said at all, I was just mentioning that you said that it got better later on.
What does irritate me is when somebody judges me without even knowing anything about me like Christopher did.
He never even checked if I had read Twilight or Hunger Games, and judging me a lesser being if I did.
This makes me angry, and sad because its people like him that make people not want to judge books on how they really felt.
It makes me think of a manga I read, where the main character changes the book jacket to make it look like she is reading a more educational and higher esteemed book.
The books I enjoy are across a lot of genres, and I am not going to apologize for liking any of them, nor am I going to apologize for not liking them.

Elspeth Becky wrote: "I love the Valdemar books, wonderful delicious braincandy. They're my go-to books for "god the weather is awful and I want to sit in bed and read something I'm familiar with." I even own some of t..."

I own the whole series, I have read them since forever. I love the Arrows trilogy, and yes its the perfect series to read on a snowy day with a cup of tea.

message 48: by Michael Fierce (new)

Michael Fierce Elpeth wrote that Christopher Maier wrote that MLE wrote that Becky Cook wrote that Gavin wrote that Leon Aldrich wrote that Sandra wrote that Michael wrote 'Gobbledygook'. Yeah. That's what Michael wrote. And I'm not giving the book 5 stars or 1 star. But, I'm definitely giving my comment 5 stars. Why? Bcoz I can do that :)

message 49: by MLE (new)

MLE Michael wrote: "Elpeth wrote that Christopher Maier wrote that MLE wrote that Becky Cook wrote that Gavin wrote that Leon Aldrich wrote that Sandra wrote that Michael wrote 'Gobbledygook'. Yeah. That's what Michae..."

I'd invent stars to give your comments.

message 50: by Michael Fierce (new)

Michael Fierce Thank you, MLE. And I'd do the same for yore's. That's Y WE FRIENDS. I'm close to positive your comments are better than the books they're under ;)

« previous 1 3