Mitchii's Reviews > Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, mystery-suspense, realistic-fiction, young-adult
Read from October 31 to November 03, 2011

(3.5 - 4 stars. I still can't make up my mind.)

Let me first say this—I absolutely love the cover. Gorgeous! I gave it five stars for the cover alone, but that would be unfair (and very unreasonable), haha. But I was mesmerized, what can I say.

I used to love Meitantei Conan (Detective Conan). Yep, you’ve read it right, used to, until I was getting tired of the same routine. What I loved about it though was this mystery, suspense going on. You know, gathering evidence, guessing who the murderer is, explaining how the crime happened (deduction at its finest), shocked that the suspect was the least person you expected. All of it! It was very clever, like a CSI drama in manga/anime form. This book gave me the same feel as Conan, but not as clever as the manga. Because…really? They suspected the boy immediately just because she was in his place (obvious doesn’t mean right). And I thought they’re smarter than that with the whole scientific investigation.

Yes, what I didn’t like about was the groundwork of the mystery—the murder itself. I mean, it was ok if the kids were the only one doing the investigation. But NO, there are professional in there, and they didn’t do their usual standard procedures. I thought he was innocent until proven guilty. Besides, the crime was spontaneous, this type tend to have plenty of loopholes for investigators to see.

Sorry, for being highly critical, but I refused to believe that they jumped into conclusion—Just. Like. That. I just found it very unrealistic.

HOWEVER, if I wasn’t very critical about it, I’d say I totally enjoyed this book. It was a funny book for something that got to do with murder, cheating, hacking and kidnapping. Who could’ve thought, right? Also, the gorgeous cover gave me this eerie feel to it. But my expectation had been hammered down yet again. It was completely different from what I assumed it’d be. In this case, I like that I was wrong.

I love the main character here, Hartley Featherstone. She’s hilarious, loved how interesting she narrates the story. As Chase said, she’s smart, tenacious, resourceful and willing to sacrifice her eyebrows for the truth. She’s really remarkable. I was never bored. I really enjoyed it.

I also liked her friend, Sam. See, just because she just a side character (or the obligatory best friend) doesn’t mean she needs to be bland so that she won’t overpower the main lead. She’s fun as Hartley. Loved their rapport. I really liked her. Chase, too. I’m profoundly glad that they didn’t fall head over heels immediately. And I have something to look forward to. ;)

I enjoyed this book, but I’m bit worried that it’ll get a little repetitive. Crime –> Investigation –> Something random in between –> Then revelation. But I’ll worry about it when the sequel comes. Right now, I liked it!
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Cool.

11/01/2011 page 88