Glynis Smy's Reviews > String Bridge

String Bridge by Jessica Bell

Aug 05, 2011

Warning: Do not read String Bridge—unless you have plenty of spare time. Jessica Bell hooks the reader with a storyline so powerful it consumes you. I read this book in one sitting. I could not put it down.

The POV Melody bares her soul, the descriptive writing is intense and one forgets it is a work of fiction. I was drawn into a storyline so swollen with discontentment that I had to read more. Each page turned I wondered if the ugly side of Melody’s life would emerge and when it did it was through an explosion of emotions. One minute I was in her corner the next I wanted to shake her into reality.

Music called out to Melody from her past, it wanted to move her forward into the future but she was suffocated by the present. Her loyalty to her marriage moved me yet frustrated me at the same time. I wanted her to be a stronger woman but the more I read I realised at that point in her life she could only be Melody, wife, mother and daughter. Her daughter will not suffer the torment of a jealous mother as she had done. Melody would never be a lover, she could never betray her husband. Or could she? Would she walk away from the restrictive bindings of a strong Greek male? Does she have the power within to leave the hot-tempered Mediterranean passion her husband uses so skilfully?

Melody slowly realises while she has been concentrating on putting everyone first, no one had shown her the same respect. By the time she gets her head around what she has to do a tragic event decides for her. Before she drowns in her collapsing world Melody finds a life-line; a life-saver.

The book is peppered with undertones of what could be and just as you are sitting comfortably, Bell pulls the rug from under Melody’s feet making the reader sit up wondering ‘what happens now?’

I give this book 5* for its beautifully crafted, descriptive sentences alone. A fantastic debut novel and I look forward to reading more from this author.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read String Bridge.