Crystal Starr Light's Reviews > Sirensong

Sirensong by Jenna Black

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, young-adult, so-boring-it-s-boring, big-heap-of-meh
Read from July 18 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

Just not as good as "Shadowspell" and "Glimmerglass"

Dana Hathaway would like nothing more than to be a normal teenager, with a normal life, and a normal boyfriend. But she is the only Faeriewalker, someone able to move between the mortal and immortal worlds, the daughter of a high-profile Avalon politician, and the girlfriend of an Unseelie Fae. Prince Henry, Seelie Queen Titania's son, has extended an invitation to the Seelie Queen's court. So Dana, her father, and her friends head off to Faerie--but along the way, their caravan is attacked, and then, she is accused of trying to assassinate Princess Elaine. What is going on and who is after Dana now?

This series has been very delightful, partly because of its protagonist, Dana, and partly because of its unconventional story (I completely did NOT see the Erlking becoming Love Interest #3!). So when "Sirensong" came out, I figured it would continue the awesome threads before and answer many questions I had: What would Dana do about her promise to the Erlking? Would she choose Ethan or Keane? Would her mother ever realize she had a problem? How powerful were Dana's magic skills? And what about the Fae queens? Were they to always be one step away from hunting down and killing Dana?

There is nothing particularly wrong with "Sirensong", but I definitely found this one lackluster, particularly after the (in my opinion) brilliant "Shadowspell". Dana is back in her practical glory, but somehow her sardonic style tended to get on my nerves. After a bit, I got more into the groove, but some of the problems she had (such as her oath to the Erlking) got a bit annoying hearing after the 15 billionth time.

Also, it really bugged me how much she worried about Ethan not wanting to be with her if she couldn't have sex with him. In fact, I kept wondering WHY she was still with this guy. He had lied to her several times in the past, used a seduction spell to try to get her to do his will...AND he continues to do these things in this book! He again uses the seduction spell on her, though this time in a much higher dosage. It seems like the only reason he even WANTS Dana is because she is a virgin and is so tempting to him. This does not make for a good relationship. I can't see Dana and Ethan being together for much longer than a few months after this book. Eventually, I predict Ethan will push Dana to go too far, too fast and Dana (if she is smart, which she mostly is) will drop him. I've never been a fan of Ethan, and having him come out as the primary Love Interest did nothing to change those feelings.

Speaking of Love Interests, Dana had two others: Keane and the Erlking, Arawn. I say "had" because, apparently, between this book and the last, she decided she wasn't into either of them. I was rather shocked at this relation. The last book, Dana spent a lot of time wondering how she felt about Keane and conflicted about her feelings for him. Same with the Erlking: she was very confused by the passionate kiss they shared, but I definitely got the impression she wasn't 100% turned off by his mere presence--certainly not like how she is here, where riding in front of him on a horse is close to a near-rape experience (that may be a bit harsh, but she does mention how uncomfortable it was to have him "grinding" up against her).

Although I was a big Team Erlking (yeah, so I'm disgusting, whatever), I could deal with her decision if it wasn't completely off screen or out of the blue. It just seemed that, in order to tie up loose ends and pair up the spares, Dana decided not to like Keane and the Erlking was dumped.

So Dana was okay, Ethan I've never liked, Keane just was there to antagonize Ethan and pair up with Kimber, Kimber was great (I did like how she eventually got all out mad at Dana's lies), Dana's mom was good (I liked how she didn't join AA overnight), Seamus (Dana's dad) was okay, and Finn was almost invisible. Henry was pretty terrible; it is SO obvious that he is up to no good, it isn't funny. Titania wasn't bad, but wasn't remarkable. The Erlking ventured into dirty, old man territory and I wished he was a bit more charming like he was in "Shadowspell" (you know, charming Dana's socks off instead of smiling maniacally as he grinds against her while they ride on a horse).

I was disappointed at the story. We have a "dress up Dana" scene (these types of scenes are almost always boring as they are nothing more than "what kind of pretty clothes can I put X in?"), a fight between Dana and her mom, and then the journey, which takes us to the halfway point of the book. Normally, I don't mind journey stories, but this one was really blase and boring. Even the attack of the Bogles and meeting up with the Erlking did nothing for me. The additions of the Green Ladies were interesting. We are barely at the palace when Dana and her friends are on the run. It almost felt too quick--why would they need to run? Sure, Dana was the only one who could bring in a bomb, but you want me to believe that the Faeries are REALLY going to shoot first and ask questions later? At the very least, a scene where they are attempted to be incarcerated after seeing the Queen was in order.

I thought at this point, I would like the story. Four kids running through the night trying to escape capture? We've hit upon another plot I love! Unfortunately, this one broke down too. Keane and Ethan bicker so much, I'm surprised that the four got ANYWHERE without being immediately arrested. The makeout session in the rain was weird, as was the makeout session at the river. Really, you are on the run, so you are going to take time and start sucking at each other? Not me! And while the last half does pick up on the action and isn't bad, I still felt that it was lacking the pace and intensity that I found in "Shadowspell". Oh, and all the arrangements made between the end parties? Weird, weird, and yeah right!

I've heard this is the last book in the Faeriewalker series, and I'm really disappointed. Jenna Black is a great writer and has created this world and these characters that I would love to learn more about. Maybe she can get around to answering them in some other books.

This certainly wasn't a horrible book, but it was certainly not as good as "Shadowspell" and doesn't answer nearly all the questions that have been mounting up in the past few books. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon, but definitely don't get your hopes up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sirensong.

07/18/2011 page 3
1.0% "I am SO EXCITED, particularly after the AMAZING Shadowspell"
07/19/2011 page 32
10.0% "Past the prettification scene--even though it was painfully stereotypical, it still got a laugh out of me!"
07/19/2011 page 36
11.0% "I actually appreciate how the mom hasn't miraculously been cured of her alcoholism over these three books."
07/20/2011 page 61
19.0% "Okay, when did Dana decide she didn't like Keane in THAT way? Last book, there were LOTS of sparks! And why is she still with that blasted Ethan? (Of course, I'm the jealous Team Erlking, who is SO not going to get the girl...)"
07/21/2011 page 80
25.0% "-10 pts for Keane being demoted from Love Interest and Ethan being promoted
+100 pts for the fact that Keane and Ethan look like they are about to blast the hell out of each other"
07/22/2011 page 97
30.0% "I realized that this is the first book where we see Faerie. Kinda cool."
07/23/2011 page 137
43.0% "Wow, the Erlking is kinda creepy...and where was the ambiguity she felt for him? It seems like Dana figured out how she felt about Keane AND the Erlking between Shadowspell and Sirensong :P"
07/23/2011 page 164
51.0% "I just don't think this is as good as Shadowspell :p"
07/24/2011 page 180
56.0% "Okay, picking up a little bit...Dana and friends are on the run (this tends to be my favorite type of story, so I am hoping this means improvement). Again, this isn't a BAD book, but after Shadowspell, I was expecting a bit more."
07/24/2011 page 220
69.0% "I feel so sad...this book is BEGGING me to like it, but I just can't. Even my favorite plot line just doesn't hold up okay."